- What did countries abroad perceive as the main difference between the way the United States federal government handled the situation in Oxford, Mississippi versus Little Rock, Arkansas?
- Most countries who participated in the questionnaire had difficulty understanding how "racial tension could persist anywhere in an advanced country like the United States." Reply to that observation.
- Why would President Kennedy be interested in learning about other countries' opinions regarding what happened at the University of Mississippi? How could their positive or negative opinions affect him or the United States as a whole?
Questions for further discussion:
- What happened in Little Rock, Arkansas, in 1957 (during the presidency of Dwight D. Eisenhower)?
- What is the United States Information Agency and what does it do?