Bumper Stickers from the Period, Collected by Walter Lord
- What does the phrase "The Castro Brothers 'Have Moved into the White House'" mean? What perceptions of the Kennedy administration does this bumper sticker reveal?
- What does the term "occupied" mean here?
- What effect might the author hope to achieve by calling Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy "'lil' brother'"?
- What does the phrase, "The SOUTH will RISE again!" mean? To what historical event does this phrase refer?
- What arguments do these bumper stickers share?
- Who is the intended audience of these bumper stickers?
Questions for further discussion:
- Compare these bumper stickers to other documents in this section. Consider both style and content.
- Are bumper stickers an effective form of political speech? Why or why not?