President's Original Speech with Notes: The James Meredith CaseSeptember 30, 1962
- What is President Kennedy’s main objective in giving this televised speech?
- How does the President try to appeal to the students of the University of Mississippi?
- What does the President say the State of Mississippi and the University could have done to avoid federal intervention in this matter?
- Why does the President praise the state of Mississippi and its University for their “courage for, their contributions of talent and thought to the affairs of our nation” when he previously outlined the state and university’s many offences?
For Further Research and Discussion:
- When did the “state supported Universities of Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Texas, Louisiana, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Kentucky” become integrated? Was there as much opposition to integration at these southern state institutions as there was at the University of Mississippi?